Thursday 21 October 2010

Confession of faith?


So you're a Christian, right? You are more than happy to tell people, yes? You're happy to share your faith, give your testimony, offer to pray for people?
If God tells you to speak to someone and tell them about his love, you do it, don't you?

Have you been a Christian for a year, five years, over twenty years?

Well I have called myself a Christian for over 30 years and I'm jealous of you because  you are doing something I seem incapable of.

You see, God has been challenging me of late. I keep thinking over and over about the call to testify to others about Him and yet my mouth remains closed. As I've tried to go back over why I have such a problem with sharing my faith, I've realised things about myself and they aren't that good. They are rather sad infact - a desperate need to be liked by everyone, to be whatever people require me to be so they will like me, to not rock the boat (and a profession of faith can often do that), a fear of abandonment and rejection and I am still unsure where those come from. (no I am not adopted nor are my parents divorced and I have not suffered abuse either).

But whatever my reasons, the bible clearly states that Jesus said "32"Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. 33But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven." Matthew 10:32-33 (NIV).

This makes me tremble. In this time of increased loss of faith, particularly in a sole deity who says there are no other gods but Him and no other ways to Heaven accept via His Son. To acknowledge such a faith is an invitation to be derided.

But, in context, in some countries, this also means imprisonment, torture and death. Surely a few snide remarks and pink cheeks are so much better than martyrdom?!
I hear of the Chinese Christians who are treated brutally by the state and yet will willingly suffer such humiliations for their faith rather than deny God's work in their lives.

It makes me ashamed of myself. Have I faced such treatment? No! But still, on the few odd occassions when I have finally opened my mouth to quietly whisper my weedy profession of faith, I see the raised eyebrows and the questioning look as to why someone of supposed intelligence would believe in such a fairytale (in their eyes) and I squirm on the inside. I know they think less of me and I hate it. There, now you know my shame.

I have friends who openly talk about their faith, who are happy to share, when appropriate (not beating people over the head with a 10lb King James Bible) and who seem to shrug off the sneers and laughter.
So why am I this coward and why has God persisted with me when I struggle so much? Where is the boldness? I have even heard sermons preached that, if I am not bold about my faith then I must surely not be saved. I have wondered myself frequently, is this the case? But then deep down inside me, I do sense the confirmation, "You are mine!".

I am still discussing this with God. It's not a pleasant conversation. I am squirming again but this time its as I look at the blood-stained face of a man, beaten beyond recognition but wearing a crown of thorns and He still looks at me with his one good eye (the other closed up) and whispers from his ruined mouth "I love you, you are mine. I bought you for a price, my blood". How can I deny this man my allegiance to all and sundry. Why aren't I shouting my faith from the rooftops? Why am I such a coward? Suddenly, I am very conscious of Judas and I have an inkling of sympathy. He betrayed his lord with a kiss. I am betraying my lord with closed mouth and fearful eyes lest someone should mock me with laughter and cruel words. It is pitiful really.

Against the agony Christ experienced from the Garden of Gethsemane to the Cross where he breathed his last, my worries and fears are as nothing.  Against the torture and threat of death some Christians face, my concerns are miserable. Yet still my fears and anxieties close my mouth as firmly as if an iron gate had been placed infront of them.

Am I alone in this? Do others suffer such worries? Moreover, when am I ever to be set free from them so I can testify openly and happily to God's amazing love and goodness to mankind and, specifically, to me?

I need release. I need to speak out my belief in God and in his Son, Jesus Christ, that He died for my sins and that without him, I am lost. I need to bow the need and confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.

I'm praying God would change my heart, help me to lose my fear, to be given that boldness that the early church had when baptised with fire in the Upper room. I'm praying that God would enable me to get beyond my fear of people disliking me, teasing me, ridiculing me and help me to make my declaration of faith knowing that He is smiling on me.

"They overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony; they did not love their lives so much as to shrink from death." Romans 12:11

6 comments:

  1. First before I comment on your post...I have a question about a certain friend that i know you have had contact with...Karen. I was wondering if you had heard from her or know how she is doing. Awhile back I sent an email but I have not heard anything from her. Thanks for any info.

    Now to this post.....I have met very few people who boldly approach everyone they meet. But yes, I have known at least one of these.
    I have done street witnessing....and I will admit I was nervous the whole time. I wondered what in the world they thought of me...and yet when I remembered that most I met were probably going to hell...I continued what I was doing.
    I do believe that a lot of our witnessing will come by way of relationship. It will come with those we know already and those we just choose to show the love of God to.
    I don't know how I would react if I were to face physical punishment for speaking of Him...I pray I would be faithful.
    I think if you take the time to look at the hurting people around you...you can't help but share the love that He has shared with you. And when that happens sometimes it naturally opens a door for you to tell them about Him.
    But I do know this...if you are not careful then you can step into a real legalistic spirit concerning witnessing. Coming from a Baptist church I have often experienced this.
    Bottom line....from my own life experience...when His love is flowing freely into my heart,soul and mind....it flows ever so much more freely to others. :)
    And then when and if the ridicule comes.....you just rest in the fact that you shared the truth.
    If you don't mind I would like to suggest that you get your hands on a book called Crazy Love by Frances Chan. It is a small book and a fast read. You can check out the book on the website crazylovebook.com. There had been a real staleness that had settled into my heart...this relite the fire.
    Keep walking....He is working. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sharon, how wonderful to hear from you. I have passed on your message to Karen who will be getting in touch with you directly. In her defence, things have been a little crazy so its not intention, her silence, just life being what it is.
    I really appreciate your comments and realise how easy it is to get bogged down with the dogma of faith. One can easily feel condemned for not doing what is expected. Equally I realise there is a reluctance on my part which aint good!. So I'm going to check out that book and hope that I can gain that fire that I need to speak when it is required without fearing.

    Thanks for your comment. Sorry to hear you cannot continue your blog but understand why too at the same time. For various reasons, many of us have had to take a break.Sometimes life dictates it so.
    Some things are more important than blogs at times. God orders our steps. Wish you lots of love and blessings though. Hugs
    X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a thought - I keep getting it and 3 times now I've not passed it on, thinking it was random. I don't know...anyway - remember the Friday night outreaches run by King's you mentioned? I still feel there is something like that for you - be it casual attendance not rigid whatever - maybe even doing that -

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, that's very interesting, Maturing. Maybe I'll test the waters by laying a fleece on this. You know it's rare for me to get an opportunity to get out then so if I get a chance to...? Alternatively maybe God will give me an opportunity at something else that's similar? Having old rejection issues coming up again about key figures there which is a bummer. I need to get serious with God on this whole thing - witness & rejection. Thank you for sharing what's been on your mind. Xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you're not alone in this. When I first started going back to church, so many great miracles were happening in my life I wanted to share them with everyone--especially friends who I thought could benefit from knowing God. Talk about raised eyebrows, looks of disbelief and in some cases flat out mockery.

    My husband reminded me that we suffer for our faith--but this spiritual suffering is a sign of growth.

    Scripture says, “If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you.” (1Peter 4:14).

    For a little while I felt tempted to close up and keep my faith to myself, but as you mentioned, we are told to do the opposite, so now I pray that God will put situations in my life that allow me to share his message.

    When I know his message would be the right thing to say at the right time, I pray first silently and ask him to let the words flow and then just go for it. We have to die to ourselves--the world offers death, but Christ offers life.

    ReplyDelete