Thursday 22 April 2010

Humbled


A friend of mine had recommended that I watch a collection of Youtube videos of a talk by Louie Giglio called "Indescribable". She said it would appeal to me because she knows that I am facinated by the space pictures and that I frequently say that all we need for proof of God's existence is to look up and see the stars or look at nature.

So tonight I took the opportunity of watching the 5 videos.

I'm so glad I did and I highly recommend them to all. As each film progressed, I found myself looking up Nasa and Hubble's websites to view things. I listened and marvelled at the sheer size of numbers being discussed for measurement of distance. I saw myself and how small I am and just how incredibly big our God is. It puts everything into perspective very quickly.

I am in awe and also, all at once, ashamed of the times that I feel unmoved by God and His mercy or the sacrifice of His Son. This God who is so incredibly big and yet extends love towards me and thinks about me personally. I have never really grasped it (and, in fairness, I haven't totally grasped it now, I don't think we can this side of Heaven) but I got a glimpse of what an amazing gift this is, God's love for us when we are not even the tip of a pin head next to a celestial body such as the Butterfly galaxy.



So tonight, if you have clear skies, stand outside a minute, look up and see the stars. Feel how small you are and remember that God is awfully big but what's even more amazing is that the big God loves you and you are very important to Him. He even knows your name and numbers the hairs on your head. To be honest, that blows me away and its almost too much for me. But I am going to stand in the doorway of my house and look up at that sky, the moon and the stars and marvel at God for a while. 



He tells the sun, 'Don't shine,' and it doesn't; he pulls the blinds on the stars. All by himself he stretches out the heavens and strides on the waves of the sea. He designed the Big Dipper and Orion, the Pleiades and Alpha Centauri. (Job 9v2)

 "Can you catch the eye of the beautiful Pleiades sisters, or distract Orion from his hunt? Can you get Venus to look your way, or get the Great Bear and her cubs to come out and play? Do you know the first thing about the sky's constellations and how they affect things on Earth? (Job 38v 31)

Come see his hands and his feet
The scars that speak of sacrifice
Hands that flung stars into space
To cruel nails surrendered
(Graham Kendrick, Servant King lyrics)

No comments:

Post a Comment